Grass heads!


So, I made it through the week…i haven’t been feeling too well because I have had a headache for five days now… But I went to the chiropractor this afternoon, and since then, my headache is much better, and I had a little extra energy… So here is what we did tonight…
Most of the time I am sharing my personal projects and family crafts, but now that I am back at work, I might share some of my school crafts too. My kids have the pleasure of not only participating in family crafts, but they often help me get things ready for school too.
Today we worked on making grass heads!

I will have to post a picture in a week, when the grass has sprouted, they look a whole lot better with grass!
I bought everything to make 20 grass heads at the dollar store for about $20.00. My shopping list was; nylon stockings, soil, grass seed, small hair elastics, google eyes, pipe cleaners, and plastic cups.

The first step is to fill the nylon stockings with about 2-3 teaspoons of grass seed first, then about a cup and a half of soil. Sam helped me discover that this is a very messy job (once again, I am so lucky to have extra help!) so, after we cleaned up all of the soil from the floor, we stretched the nylons over a plastic yogurt container. This was much neater, and much easier to fill!


After we filled the stockings, we found that we had to pack them like a snowball to compact all of the soil. Then, we picked a side for the face and pinched a little of the soil for the nose, and wrapped it with an elastic band.


After we had done this 20 times (I had to make 20 for school), we were ready to decorate the faces. I purposely made the noses different sizes and shapes because I want the finished heads to have different personalities.

Next step is to glue on the eyes. I think the only glue that would hold and dry with all of the moisture is hot glue. I don’t know what I would do without my hot glue gun!

Once again as you can see in the photo, I purposely used different sizes of eyes and positioned, and spaced the eyes in different places so they all looked different. Sam expressed her concern that they all looked like boys, and there were no girls, so we added some eyelashes using bugle beads, earrings, and hair bows. For most of the mouths, I clipped pieces of pipe cleaners and glued everything with my hot glue gun.
The reason I wanted to make these heads is because it is national family literacy day next week. What do grass heads and literacy day have to do with each other? The idea I had was that throughout the week, the younger kids would be able to sit beside the grass head, read to it and watch the grass grow…. Last year I sent a fish around to visit the classes so the kids could read to it and the kids loved it, so I figured why not read to a plant?
When i deliver these guys (and girls) to the classes, I wrote a letter for the teacher to the teachers and made a folded card that will sit beside them in the classroom. I’m not sure if you can read it or not, but here’s a picture.

And here is the picture again that shows the heads fully decorated. I will post another picture next week, when they have some hair!



2 responses »

  1. These look fantastic Ellen …you sure make school fun …glad to hear the chiropractor helped with the headache ….good free advertising !!!… thanks for the plug …love xxoo jk


  2. Pingback: Grass Heads | Create With Me

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s