So, I finally finished laying and grouting the floor…I have to say that its slow work. By the time we get home from work, cook dinner, clean up dinner, get lunches made or homework done, there is about an hour before the kids go to bed. And because the bathroom is I between the kids bedrooms, once they go to bed is the time I have to stop working…. Mind you, that’s probably a good thing!
So the floor is done, so first priority is getting the toilet back in. Since we have take out the toilet, I don’t know what has happened, but both kids mysteriously have started to have to pee in the middle of the night, which now means going through our room and using our bathroom in the middle of the night… So needless to say, the toilet is on the top of my list. But, to get the toilet in, first I had to repair the flange(?) that snapped, then finish and grout the tiles, then paint, then install the trim and quarter round…
Sorry, I know this picture is kind of gross, but this is what we found when we pulled up the toilet. This piece is what holds the toilet down and it was cracked on both sides. I stuffed some paper towel down the hole to block it for obvious reasons!
So, after fixing that, I painted and did the trim right around the toilet. Next step is to tip the toilet up and add a new wax ring…this is what makes the seal from your toilet to pipes… I bought a wax ring with new bolts included, (which I already used)..
Then, we remembered to remove the paper towels we had stuffed into the pipe and carefully placed the toilet so that the two bolts go through the two holes on the base. Once the toilet is straight and in position, tighten the bolts until the toilet doesn’t wiggle at all. Be careful not to over tighten, because you can crack the toilet!
Toilet done! Next job, remove the mirror. I was worried about this one, but it was actually pretty easy. I taped the mirror, just in case it snapped, but all we had to do was just pry open the clips, and used a screwdriver to pry off the adhesive holding it to the wall, it came off in one piece.
We tried to cut it into two smaller mirrors I was going to put a fame around, but it cracked.
So the last step now is installing the vanities and hooking back up the plumbing. We hit a little snag when we learned out faucets don’t fit in the new countertop. So, another trip to home depot where I hooked us up with some sweet Martha Stewart taps.
Hopefully, by the end of the day, I will post photos of the finished bathroom!! We’re so close now!