Because we have a pool, to have a working, self closing gate is essential. As a matter of fact, when we first bought the house, we had our gate zip tied closed by the city because it wasn’t self-closing! Over the winter, something happened, and when we opened the gate a couple weeks ago, this is what happened:
I had previously installed a spring on the front of the gate, which was supposed to spring it closed, but that only lasted a couple weeks, before it popped off. So this time, I bought hinges that are self closing, so they have a spring mechanism inside.
I started by removing all of the old hardware. Then, I propped up the gate to the height I wanted, and shoved a couple bricks under to level it.
Then I used a level to make sure the gate was level and even. I had to adjust the bricks I had used to support it a little. Then I marked where the holes needed to be drilled, and drilled the pilot holes.
I wish I had more pictures of the process, but we did this last summer, before I started my blog…
We had to call someone in to fix the bricks on the side of the house, but I pulled up all of the interlock bricks. Then we got a truckload of pea gravel, and added stepping stones. As you can see in the picture, I also put in some of the stepping stones we made between the larger stones.
The entrance to our backyard looks much better now! Now if only I could find a better place to put all of the yard waste bins, and garbage cans…