Another area of our backyard we decided to do ourselves was the space around the bbq.
We had a few pieces of flagstone that we found around the backyard when we first moved in, but as the guys were excavating the backyard, they dug up a bunch of flagstone, so I ran out and dug them all up and stashed them at the side of the house to save them. One more piece of evidence for these landscapers to think that I am totally off my rocker.
Anyways, this is what the area looked like before we started…
We raked the area level, then covered it with landscaping fabric. Then, brought in all of the flagstone pieces we had. I lifted all of the small pieces and John lifted the big.
Then, this would have been the fun part if they weren’t rocks, and weighed a hundred pounds each! It was kind of like a jigsaw puzzle, fitting all of the pieces of stone together. Although, we didn’t have enough puzzle pieces…So I tried..
I tried to put the larger stones on the pathways that would be used most often, like in and out of the backyard. Also, by making a pathway that forked, we used what stone we had without having to buy more flagstone. (I have to be honest here, I didn’t want to buy more flagstone not to save money, but because by this point, I just didn’t want to have to lift it in and out of the car!)
So, we filled in the cracks and spaces with the same pea gravel we used on the pathway…
And, made sure the stones were level… it was hard to level them after the landscaping fabric was down, so I added some screening in places to even some of the stones out.
Overall, considering that I dug up all of the flagstone from the backyard, and it didn’t cost a penny, I thought it turned out pretty well. Maybe we will revisit it in the future, but for now, I am happy with it. And, I am happy with not lifting any stones for a while too!