Sock Monkey Hat


Sam decided that she wants to be a sock monkey for halloween, so we looked on line for inspiration. We found a few photos to choose from, but this is the one she liked the most…So,this is what we are aiming for…

We went to Fabricland last week and we bought red, beige and brown polar fleece, and we also bought some tule for the skirt.
So, to make the hat, we started with a hat she had already. I turned it inside out, laid it down on some old wallpaper, and I traced around it, estimating the dart on the top…

Then, I cut out the pattern and I pinned it and cut it out of the polar fleece. (I folded the polar fleece in half, to cut out two pieces) I decided to make the hat lined with red polar fleece, so I started with the lining. Then, I sewed the dart and around the sides to connect both pieces together.

Then, Sam tried on the hat, and I made a couple adjustments to make it fit better.

Once I was satisfied with the fit, I cut out another hat out of the darker fabric using the same, adjusted pattern.
Then, I used the pattern to cut out a curved white stripe to become the monkey’s hat.

Before I sewed down the stripe, I roughly cut out a snout out of white and mouth out of the red. I pinned everything to the hat, then, she tried it on again. I wanted to make sure that everything was in the right place.

Then, I sewed the darts on the brown fabric, and sewed down the white stripes.

I trimmed off the white stripe, by using a sharp pair of scissors to clip near the seams.

I then realized that I almost forgot the ears! (should have thought about that before!) I cut out four ear shaped semi circles and sewed around the perimeter, leaving one side open

The problem was, I couldn’t figure out how to attach them…I decided the easiest way was to cut a slit at the end of the darts. Next time I would make a slit in the pattern to accommodate the ears, but this seemed to work fine.

So, what I did was slip the ears into the holes so they were on the right side of the fabric, and sewes a narrow seam to attach them in. Here is what the seam looked like from the outside…

Before I sewed the side seam, I thought now might be the easiest time to add the pom-pom, so I cut up a bunch of thin strips of the white polar fleece…

I tied them together in the middle…

Then, tied them tight, and to neaten it up, I trimmed the ends so they were even…tada, polar fleece pom-pom! Here is what it looked like before and after trimming…


Next, I sewed around the center front and back, and I pinned the ties of the pom-pom to attach it at the very top….

It’s starting to like like a monkey now! Next was the mouth, I pinned the mouth in place, sewed around the perimeter. Be sure to leave space at the bottom for the seam.

Time to put the inside and outside together! I pinned it first, then left a spot at the center back open in order to turn it right side out. Be sure you have pinned right sides together…

Then the final step was to turn it right side out, sew on some button eyes and stitch the hole closed…

And… Here it is!

Now, I wish I could say that the costume was finished… but yesterday I made the hat, shirt, pants, skirt, and a matching monkey…yes, I know, the monkey wasn’t really necessary, but look how cute it is!


So, I managed to get everything done in time to go trick-or-treating on Main Street yesterday afternoon. The bad news is I didn’t have time to blog about every piece as I made it…. sorry! I will tell you that I used a pair of her pants, and a shirt the help make the patterns. By the way, you like Dylan’s costume…he decided he wanted to be a grampa!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s