DIY – Monster House

Standard

I know Halloween is over, but now is the perfect time to start planning for next year, so I thought I would share this with you!
I saw this picture on pinterest and I loved the idea…Sorry, I will look for the link, but I only saved the picture…I will try to find it to give the author/artist credit…

20131105-220547.jpg
Anyways, every year I always try to improve on my decorating, at work and at home. So this year, I thought I would turn our porch into a monster.
I dug up a few old scraps of Masonite (the best way I can describe Masonite is like a combination between cardboard and particle board.)

20131106-232320.jpg
I traced out a simple eye outline, then cut it out using my jig saw…

20131106-232419.jpg

20131106-232440.jpg
Then I traced out a few teeth, and cut them out. I cut out two incisors that were a little bigger, and four smaller teeth.

20131106-232626.jpg
I am not sure if my blade was dull, or this just happens when you cut masonite, but the edges were really rough, so I used a sanding sponge to round and smooth the edges. It was really easy to sand, and really easy to cut. I have to remember this when I am making stuff for my library.
Anyways, I sanded…

20131106-232916.jpg
Then I spray-painted everything white. I used spray paint because I thought it would dry faster than paint, because I am not a big fan of watching paint dry! lol

20131106-233106.jpg

20131106-233121.jpg
Then, I painted two semi circles for the irises of the eyes. I found green paint, so I used green!

20131106-233257.jpg
Then I added the pupils in the middle. Here’s a trick for drawing the iris and the pupil… don’t draw them too big, take a look in the mirror to see how much space in your eyeball they actually take up. Also, make sure both lines are parallel, the pupil is always in the exact center of the eye/eye ball.

20131106-233533.jpg
Then, I wanted to make it really spooky, so I thought a few veins popping out would do the trick. And, who better to draw bulging, pulsing veins in my evil eyes, than my children! So I drew the lines in pencil and they traced over them in Sharpie…

20131106-233749.jpg

20131106-233806.jpg
Now, I wish I could tell you that I put them aside, and let them dry for a few hours, but I didn’t. It was a nice and sunny Sunday afternoon, and I knew if I didn’t get them up soon, it would never happen. So, I duct taped a coat hanger to the back of each eye, then hooked the coat hanger around a spindle on the balcony. The angle that you hang the eyes here is really important. To make the eyes look really mad, or evil, slant them down in the center. Take a look at how mad these eyes look in the grass!

20131106-234151.jpg
To hang the teeth up, I just duct taped them to the balcony with white duct tape. If I only had one thing to take on a deserted island, I would take a roll of duct tape….I love that stuff! So, here is what my nice friendly balcony looked like before…

20131106-234244.jpg
And here is what it looked like as an evil monster…

20131106-234343.jpg
If you live any where near me, our house would have been easy to pick out. Here is the rest of our front lawn…

20131106-234454.jpg

20131106-234508.jpg

20131106-234520.jpg
Happy early Halloween!
😉

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s