Making Pillows to match my brand new couch!

Standard

Hope everyone is enjoying the second day back to school… only 294 days left until summer next year! I am actually looking forward to this school year. I will try to remember to share some of the stuff I am working on at school in my library!
But first, I am going to try to catch up on writing about some of the projects we worked on this summer…
Since painting the fireplace and family room, we were working on getting the rest of the room done. We got our new couch delivered, and the walls and fireplace are all painted. We are still waiting on one more piece of furniture from the states to be shipped in… can’t wait to show it to you!
So, while we were waiting, I dug up some scraps of fabric I had left over from a duvet cover I have been working on. And I found a few old pillows I bought a while ago…

20140807-202841.jpg
I am sure I had a plan for the pillows when I bought them, but the hot pink covers just have’t fit in with any of my colour choices so far.
So, they were the perfect choice to recover. I started by tracing the outline of the pillow on a paper and then divided it into quarters, and added a little seam allowance on each side…

20140807-203023.jpg
I found four different fabrics that I liked, and cut out eight quarters from each.

20140807-203211.jpg

20140807-203225.jpg
Next, I sewed all of the quarters together and pressed the seams open. I have found that pressing the seams open makes a big difference in the finished product.

20140807-203359.jpg
Then, to make the sides of the pillows, I tightened the tension on my machine and sewed down either side of a four inch strip of fabric to gather it a little. I did enough to go around all four pillows.

20140807-212046.jpg
A few months ago, I bought about 20 yards of cording on sale, for a really good reason that I just can’t remember right now (notice a pattern here?) anyways, boy am I glad I did, because if there is one thing I have learned about recovering uphostry, or pillows is that it always looks better with piping.
Then, I sewed one side of the pillow to the side panel, and put the piping in the middle.
Like this…

20140808-215138.jpg

20140808-215159.jpg
And this is what the seam looked like right side out…

20140808-214942.jpg
Once I had sewn both sides of the pillow to the side panels, I left a few inches open, squeezed my ugly pillows inside and hand stitched the openings closed.

20140808-215640.jpg
My sewing machine wouldn’t sew over the cording, so I had to figure out how to join the two ends without leaving them raw, because the cording unravels very easily.
So I folded over the edges of a small rectangle of fabric and glued it to the join with a glue gun. Then, I hand stitched the rest of the opening closed.

20140808-215936.jpg

20140808-215945.jpg
And, here is how they turned out. I love the colours, and I like the shape
They have already come in handy. They are great pillows for the kids to sit on the floor, because I won’t them eat on my new couch…lol…

20140810-175413.jpg

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s