Making a Mummy (actually a Mummy’s Mommy)

Standard

Sam had the cool idea for her Halloween costume this year of being the Mommy of a mummy. She wanted to dress up like a mummy, and dress up one of her dolls too. So, we got down to some serious work the other night.
At fabricland, I bought 2 yards of the cheapest broadcloth fabric, which was I thing three dollars a yard. We ripped it into strips about an inch and a half wide. Sam loved ripping the fabric! I have to agree…. there is something theraputic about the sound and feel of ripping fabric apart. Anyways, we ripped a bunch of strips the length of the fabric.

20141027-180906.jpg
And we started with an old black shirt and track pants. Sorry, I forgot to take a picture before we started gluing… we were just too excited to start!

20141027-181024.jpg
So, as seen in the pictures, she put on the black shirt and pants before we started gluing the strips. I used a low melt glue gun and started from the bottom, and wrapped around as loose as possible. We wanted to make sure she could take everything off and on after.

20141027-181237.jpg
Then, we used a second piece to wrap around the opposite way. I glued a tiny blob of hot glue every few inches.

20141027-181550.jpg
It took a while to glue down both legs, arms and the body…

20141101-091638.jpg
I have to admit that I should have wrapped a little more loosely around the body. To get out of the costume, Sam needs help and it is a little like escaping from a straight jacket. So, thinking that at some point during the day she might want to sit down, I decided that it would be a lot easier to make a little skirt, rather than wrap the rest of the pants. So, we took a strip of the broadcloth, and measured the length to her knees. We folded over the top to add elastic at the top, and left the bottom raw.

20141101-092014.jpg
Then, we ripped slits into the bottom.

20141101-092133.jpg
And, we glued down a few strips on top of the skirt…

20141101-092238.jpg
They using a grey marker, and a couple brown markers, I antiqued or aged the bandages by drawing a bunch of lines.

20141101-092504.jpg
And we hot glued a bunch of spiders. I also got a short string of spider lights from the dollar store that we wove into the bandages. I think that was one of my favourite parts, plus there will be no missing her at night when she is trick or treating!

20141101-092629.jpg
Finally, we mummified her doll, by covering her with strips of fabric too. I didn’t want to ruin the doll, so I was careful to not actually glue the strips directly on the doll.

20141101-094135.jpg
And… here is the final product….

20141101-094222.jpg

20141101-094233.jpg
Happy Halloween!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s