Our new swing! 

Standard
Our new swing! 

We are now on summer holidays! Yahoo! So, now I am going down my list of things to do and trying to get some jobs done as well as clear some clutter from around the house. I have been busy posting a whole bunch of things on Kijiji, and facebook.

And, I will admit, I have also bought a few things too… For some reason one day I mentioned to my friend that I wanted a swing for the backyard, and she sent me an email for this chair on kijiji… I absolutely love the design… But wasn’t sure about the colours…but I bought it anyways, because it was a great price, and…. paint exists for a reason, right?   

As you can see from the photo below, it was brand new, it took us 1/2 hour just to unwrap all of the packaging…  

So obviously, it isn’t real wicker, but here is a close up of the colours….love the design of the chair, but not really my choice in colours…

A couple years ago, I bought this old wicker set from our neighbours and refinished it…. Here is what it looked like when I bought it…

And here is part of the set finished…

  

There is actually 6 chairs, a love seat, and two tables. So, after refinishing that whole set, I feel pretty confident in my ability to refinish wicker, and…I still had some leftover fabric and spray paint.  So I thought, why not make them matching?

I started by giving the swing a very quick sanding, with a very fine sandpaper, just to scratch off the shiny surface. Then I used a spray primer as a first coat. I really like the Rustoleum brand. Here is a pic…

  
Here is what the chair looked like after a coat of primer…

Btw, the frame made it so easy to spray paint, I could do all sides at once!    
I let it dry for a couple hours, then sprayed it with the actual colour. It took two light coats to cover up all of the primer. I did also spray all of the edges with a bit of clear varnish. I have found that with the other set, the paint does tend to chip off in places where it is frequently bumped. But, I just get out my spraypaint and touch it up a couple times a season. 

I forgot to take pictures of the making of the cushions, but I just laid out the cushions on the leftover fabric and cut out a square and circle, sewed around three sides, put them on, and hand stitched them closed…

Here is what the swing looks like finished. Big improvement, I think!

  

And here it is with the rest of my set… The only problem is that I didn’t realize how much the other fabric has faded… I am sure after a couple months in the sun, it will all look the same.    

It looks great with our new fire table! Time to start roasting some marshmallows! 
Btw, forgot to wish everyone a belated Happy Canada Day from July 1st, Go Canada! 

  
  

Advertisements

6 responses »

  1. Your blog is hard to follow as I have to move from one side of the page to the other to see the next photo. In the past I could juat follow the photos down easily.

    Like

    • Hi, you could use spray paint depending on the size of the slats or bars, but I find that it does take a lot of spray paint as a lot gets wasted spraying the air… I think I would use a good old fashioned brush… Might take longer, but your coverage will be better too. I have tried spray paint for a number of furniture projects, but, with the one exception of wicker…I always end up back with a brush…good luck!

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s