Burlap Ruffled Tablecloth 

Standard

Ok, so my apologies for not being very consistent in sharing lately. I have a whole bunch of things to share! I will start with my burlap tablecloth because I was pretty happy with the way it turned out.

When I was doing the craft sale circuit before the holiday, I decided that I needed a nicer covering for the fold out tables that are normally used. So I did a little research, and I love the look of burlap and lace together. So, I bought a plain old roll of burlap from Home Depot for about $10. And I dug out an old queen sized sheet I had saved especially for a project like this! I love it when my hoarding tendencies pay off! 

Anyways, I started by piecing together the sheet so it fit around the table. I decided it was better if it went right to the ground to cover up the mess of boxes I am usually storing underneath. As you can see, I just pieced it together without really worrying what it was going to look like because it isn’t actually going to show.   

Then I cut a piece of burlap to fit the top, with about 3 inches extra on each side.

I also cut the remainder of the burlap into strips about 8 inches wide.
  

I don’t normally pin before I sew, but when I am working on a large scale and sewing a 6 foot seam, it makes a lot more sense to pin. So I stated at the top, and basically pinched and pined a little gather every six inches or so to make the Ruffles.   

I roughly measured at this point to see that I had enough burlap to make three layers of Ruffles to reach the ground. Then I sewed right on top all the way around. With a material like burlap, I figured there was no need to hide the seams. The stitch lines are barely visible on the burlap.
  

I was going to leave the edges raw, but I ended up turning them up, and adding a little ruffled lace around each edge. The photo below show me adding the lace without turning the burlap edge up, but I ended up deciding that it would be a lot more durable, and wouldn’t fray as much if I turned it under.
The table ended up taking three rows of ruffles. Things I would do differently… I would sew the Ruffles from the bottom to the top, that way I could space them out better. I would also add the lace trim before attaching it to the table cloth, this  would have been much easier to work with.

Here is the finished product!  I might have to sew in a little weight at the front to stop it from slipping. Because I only added the Ruffles to three sides, it is a little front heavy. Not a big deal when my stuff is on the table, but slips a little when the table is empty.  

One of the cool things about being a little crafty is that my friends are always sending me ideas! The day I was sewing this, my friend Marlee sent me this link for a burlap tree skirt. I think I might just have to make one before next Christmas.. Too bad I used all of the burlap! 

  

Here is not such a great photo of the table cloth in action at my last craft sale. Thanks again for helping Sam!  

Maybe by Easter I will get around to posting a couple of my Valentine’s Day projects! 

Have a great Sunday night.

Advertisements

One response »

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s