Tag Archives: drawings

One more custom designed stuffed animal!

Standard

Here is another stuffed animal the kids and I made. Dylan and Sam designed and cut it out together as a gift for a friend! We made it following the same steps in one of my previous posts a couple weeks ago!

20120324-153214.jpg

Advertisements

Stuffed animals from the kids drawings!

Standard

I decided a few days ago to spell out the letters of Artzcool in whatever materials I am working with. So today, the kids and I decided to try a sewing project using polar fleece. I was going to make the letter T, and the kids were each going to make a stuffed animal.
Here is what Sam’s stuffed animal looked like in the end, compared to her drawing:

20120312-213405.jpg
Here is Dylan’s first sketch and then his finished stuffed animal.

20120312-213450.jpg

20120312-213459.jpg
Dylan’s design was a little more complicated than Samantha’s, but the steps were basically the same. They both started by drawing a sketch. Sam cut out her drawing, and we pinned it to the fabric and cut it out, like a pattern piece.

20120312-213728.jpg
We figured that the best way to do Dylan’s design would be to attach all of the pieces to a background. So, Dylan started by cutting out a blue square piece of polar fleece. Then the kids cut out all of the details they wanted to go on. We talked about how it was like making a collage with fabric. We pinned all of the pieces to the polar fleece.

20120312-221609.jpg
Then, I used my sewing machine to sew around the perimeter of each piece, and after sewing all of the pieces on, I trimmed each piece close to my stitching line… You can see what I mean in the picture below.

20120312-222028.jpg

20120312-222055.jpg
With Samantha’s design, we decided to add some plastic eyes. To attach these eyes, I cut a tiny hole, poked the post of the eye through, then I attached the plastic disk on the back.

20120312-222328.jpg
Then, for both of their stuffed animals, we pinned the right sides together and sewed around the perimeter.

20120312-222529.jpg
After sewing around the perimeter, we turned them right side out and stuffed them with our scraps of polar fleece. To finish them off, I hand stitched the opening closed.

20120312-222907.jpg

20120312-222927.jpg
I almost forgot… While they were working on their projects, I was also working on mine. I followed the same basic steps. I came up with a design, cut out and pinned all of the pieces, then finally sewed and trimmed around the perimeter. Here’s what my T looked like by the end:

20120312-223346.jpg

20120312-223534.jpg

20120313-213733.jpg

20120403-192718.jpg