After we made real fortune cookies, I did a little research on line and found instructions for paper fortune cookies, so I thought, why not make foam fortune cookies?
I am going to use this as a craft with the girl guides group I volunteer with, so these pictures are of the samples I made. I typed out a few fortunes, and cut them into strips to put inside, but I also cut some blank strips for kids to make up their own fortunes. I added photos of the fortunes I made when i baked fortune cookies with the kids too. These would be a lot of fun to personalize, and add some humour.
Start by cutting a circle. You can trace the top of a yogurt container, or just free hand cut a circle.
Fold the circle in half and add your fortune…
Now, this step is tricky the first time, but once you get it, it’s easy! What you do is fold it in half again, but you fold it almost sideways. Take a look at the picture…
Then, to hold it closed, I simply stapled them at the open ends…
That’s it! I keep thinking of ways I could use this in the classroom… What about having students write predictions about what is going to happen in a story, then opening them up later? Or what about asking questions then putting them inside? What about writing math questions? I can keep going…Birthday party invitations…place card holders…party favors…
I saw this done online, on a tin can, and I have wanted to try it ever since!
Yesterday at the dollar store, we picked up a pack of the foam sheets. I have to say that I was a little disappointed that the sheets were all different thicknesses.
We startedby cutting the foam into little squares. The kids had a tough time cutting the strips evenly, so I ended up cutting the long strips, and they cut them into squares. We used one of my paint palettes to keep the colours from mixing together.
Using white glue, we covered a small area at a time, then glued on the squares.
After I had the letter done, I added the leaves around.
Then, I started adding the blue, I cut the squares diagonally and fit them in around the leaves before filling in the rest of the space.
Then, once I had all of the pieces glued down, I needed to leave the glue to dry for a couple hours. I decided to try to grout my mosaic first, just to make sure it actually works before the kids do theirs.
I left it for a few hours, then I mixed some plain white grout
And spread the grout over the entire board.
Finally, I let it sit for about 10 minutes, then wiped off the grout with a damp sponge. When it dries, I am going to seal it with some varnish.
Next letter is the T….