Tag Archives: girls room

A Dresser Re-Dressed

Standard

I promise (I think) this is going to be the last cupcake thing I make for a long time! I just have the curtains and headboard left to do in Samantha’s room… And no cupcakes planned for either one of those projects.
Here is the story of the cupcake dressers…When we bought the white dressers that are in Samantha’s room now, they were actually bought to match with a jungle mural that I painted in Dylan’s room before he was born, so even though they are just a plain old Ikea white, they could use some updating. Here is the finished dresser:

20120209-200532.jpg
Here is what they looked like before…sorry, it’s the best picture I could find…Hey, like I said, they are Ikea, use your imagination!

20120209-200820.jpg
The first step in the dresser transformation was to change the trim to black. I didn’t want to paint, because it would be impossible to make the lines look neat and clean. Also, I didn’t want anything to be permanent – who knows, maybe she will want to redecorate again in the next couple of years (I can only hope! Lol) So, I used a plain black fabric tape I bought a Curry’s. I just taped all of the edges where the wood was exposed.

20120209-201838.jpg

20120209-201847.jpg
Then, I decided to replace the knobs. I found some porcelain knobs at Home Depot for a couple dollars each. I used the Porcelaine brand of porcelain paint to paint them. I started with adding a cloud of light pink on each knob to make the cupcake top.

20120209-202905.jpg
Then, I painted around the cupcake tops with a darker pink, and left a rectangle at the bottom white.

20120209-203103.jpg
I used my black paint pen to outline the cupcakes…

20120209-203218.jpg
Then, added the detail for the cupcake bottoms…

20120209-203310.jpg
Outlined the cherries, and added a few swirls to the cupcake tops….

20120209-203358.jpg

20120209-203407.jpg
I waited 24 hours for the paint to dry, cooked it in the oven for 1/2 hour (as per the instructions on the Porcelaine paint bottle, because I always read the instructions.) then I removed the old knobs, and attached the the new ones.

20120209-204701.jpg

20120209-204708.jpg
All done! This weekend I am going to work on her curtains.

Advertisements

Painting a vase

Standard

Yesterday, I was working on making some changes to my daughter’s dresser so that it will match her room better, and I decided to personalize the drawer pulls, which are porcelain, so I got out my porcelain paint….I will show you the type and brand of paint I use in my next post, along with some pictures, when I have finished her dresser, hopefully in the next few days.
But for now, I will show you the vase I painted with the same porcelain paints. I had some left over flowers from the mirror we decorated, so I just had to make something to hold them in! Here is what the finished vase looks like…

20120208-203839.jpg
There is not a whole lot I need to write here in terms of instructions, because I think the pictures will explain how to do it…
I started by painting lines…

20120208-203948.jpg
Then I painted a couple of the stripes pink…

20120208-204020.jpg
Then I painted the bottoms of the cupcakes…

20120208-204112.jpg
Then the tops…

20120208-204327.jpg
Then I started the leopard print by adding white dots to the pink stripes, and I added cherries to the cupcakes…

20120208-204433.jpg
Then I used a ceramic paint pen to outline and add details to the cupcakes…

20120208-204527.jpg
While I was painting, Samantha, of course, had to get in on the action and paint too. Here is Sam’s cup she painted. We decided that she needed to paint something in her room to hold her pencils!

20120208-204742.jpg
Ok, back to painting the vase. My next step was to paint the zebra design on the top white stripe…

20120208-204841.jpg
Then I added the black detail to the leopard skin (if you want more details on how to paint the leopard pattern, see my post called, “leopardizing the walls”)

20120208-205204.jpg
I repeated the same zebra and leopard skin patterns on the bottom of the vase, then I decided that maybe the cupcakes needed a thicker border, so I painted a thicker border.

20120208-205329.jpg

20120208-205335.jpg
That’s it! A little trick to the ceramic painting is that when the paint has totally dried, I will go back with a pin to scratch off a few of the areas I would like to clean up.
This paint also needs to dry for 24 hours, then it cooks in the oven. It will then be dishwasher and food safe!