Tag Archives: hand painted

Sunflower design tea set

Standard

Here is one of my favourite designs that I have painted many times, in many colours, on plates, platters, mugs, and bowls, over the years…

20120218-183325.jpg
I started with a plain white serving plate, tea pot, and mug. I use the Porcelaine brand of paint. It is water based, so washes up with water. It is about 5-$6 per bottle. It needs to be left to set for 24 hours, then cooked in the oven at 300 degrees for 1/2 hour. But after that, it is on for good. I even put my painted dishes in the dishwasher.

20120218-183408.jpg
Then I started by painting the flower centers, leaving enough space between each one for the petals.

20120218-183616.jpg
I used an orange paint to paint around the centers to make the petals.

20120218-183720.jpg
I filled in the background with a royal blue colour. Note that the Porcelaine paint is not totally opaque, so I purposely let my brush strokes show. With this paint, even if you let the first coat dry and try to paint another coat on top, it tends to pull off the first coat and make a bit of a mess.

20120218-185001.jpg
I used the Porcelaine pen to outline all of the flowers first, then I made a grid for the center of the sunflowers, and added a dot in the center of each square to finish it off.

20120218-185146.jpg

20120218-185216.jpg
That’s it! The pattern looks a lot more difficult than it actually is.

20120218-185756.jpg

Advertisements

Painting a vase

Standard

Yesterday, I was working on making some changes to my daughter’s dresser so that it will match her room better, and I decided to personalize the drawer pulls, which are porcelain, so I got out my porcelain paint….I will show you the type and brand of paint I use in my next post, along with some pictures, when I have finished her dresser, hopefully in the next few days.
But for now, I will show you the vase I painted with the same porcelain paints. I had some left over flowers from the mirror we decorated, so I just had to make something to hold them in! Here is what the finished vase looks like…

20120208-203839.jpg
There is not a whole lot I need to write here in terms of instructions, because I think the pictures will explain how to do it…
I started by painting lines…

20120208-203948.jpg
Then I painted a couple of the stripes pink…

20120208-204020.jpg
Then I painted the bottoms of the cupcakes…

20120208-204112.jpg
Then the tops…

20120208-204327.jpg
Then I started the leopard print by adding white dots to the pink stripes, and I added cherries to the cupcakes…

20120208-204433.jpg
Then I used a ceramic paint pen to outline and add details to the cupcakes…

20120208-204527.jpg
While I was painting, Samantha, of course, had to get in on the action and paint too. Here is Sam’s cup she painted. We decided that she needed to paint something in her room to hold her pencils!

20120208-204742.jpg
Ok, back to painting the vase. My next step was to paint the zebra design on the top white stripe…

20120208-204841.jpg
Then I added the black detail to the leopard skin (if you want more details on how to paint the leopard pattern, see my post called, “leopardizing the walls”)

20120208-205204.jpg
I repeated the same zebra and leopard skin patterns on the bottom of the vase, then I decided that maybe the cupcakes needed a thicker border, so I painted a thicker border.

20120208-205329.jpg

20120208-205335.jpg
That’s it! A little trick to the ceramic painting is that when the paint has totally dried, I will go back with a pin to scratch off a few of the areas I would like to clean up.
This paint also needs to dry for 24 hours, then it cooks in the oven. It will then be dishwasher and food safe!