Tag Archives: painted clock

Grampy’s clock…

Standard
Grampy’s clock…

So many projects lately, just too tired to write about them! But I’m going to try… now that our renovation is so so close to being done, I will share lots of pics of our transformation! 

I found this clock in one of my upstairs closets that we had to empty for the renovation, and I just couldn’t get rid of it. My grandfather made furniture… lots of furniture over the years. He also loved making clocks. In our house we didn’t say grandfather clock, we said Grampy’s clock. Lol. Anyways, since my grandfather passed away a few years ago, and I am sentimental about things people made, I just couldn’t get rid of it. Anyone that knew him would know that he wouldn’t have been thrilled to see one of his clocks painted… he was more of a natural wood, stain guy… anyways, I know he wouldn’t be cheering that I am painting his clock, but now instead of sitting in a closet, his clock now is hung in my family room. 🙂 

So, this is what Grampy’s clock looked like. After being moved from closet to closet and house to house, it was in a few pieces. 

This is what it is supposed to look like:

I started by taking out the screws that connected the faceplate, to the clock (btw I am totally making up words like faceplate… I have no idea what clock parts are called, so my apologies if there are any clock makers around) 


Then I took off the clock hands carefully. 


And unscrewed another nut that held the faceplate on.

Here’s a tip. Get a Tupperware container for screws and pieces. After renovating we have so many screws left over that I am sure we will never figure out where they go… but as I am working on projects like this, I always toss all of the bits and pieces into a container so I don’t misplace them… it makes putting it back together a whole lot easier. 

Once I took the face of the clock off, there were four more screws to take off. I thought it would be easier to paint if I could access the back and front. 


The clock movements were attached to the back of this board.


Once I had everything apart, it was time to start painting. I painted around the glass, but When I am painting, I never worry about getting paint on the glass. 

Because if you wait until the paint is dry, it will just scrape off with a razor blade. Much easier than taping! 


I wanted to create an antiqued look, so I used some sand paper to roughen up the corners and edges. 


And all that was left to do was put it back together! Here is what the finished clock looks like now.

And here is where it is hanging in my house….
I don’t know if my Grampy would have loved the result as much as I do, but I am very pleased with the result. It looks great hung up now, and makes a whole lot more sense to me than being stuck in a closet somewhere.

I’m looking forward to sharing some of my other summer projects! Just wait until I show you our master bathroom now!!

Advertisements