I decided a few days ago to spell out the letters of Artzcool in whatever materials I am working with. So today, the kids and I decided to try a sewing project using polar fleece. I was going to make the letter T, and the kids were each going to make a stuffed animal.
Here is what Sam’s stuffed animal looked like in the end, compared to her drawing:
Dylan’s design was a little more complicated than Samantha’s, but the steps were basically the same. They both started by drawing a sketch. Sam cut out her drawing, and we pinned it to the fabric and cut it out, like a pattern piece.
We figured that the best way to do Dylan’s design would be to attach all of the pieces to a background. So, Dylan started by cutting out a blue square piece of polar fleece. Then the kids cut out all of the details they wanted to go on. We talked about how it was like making a collage with fabric. We pinned all of the pieces to the polar fleece.
Then, I used my sewing machine to sew around the perimeter of each piece, and after sewing all of the pieces on, I trimmed each piece close to my stitching line… You can see what I mean in the picture below.
I almost forgot… While they were working on their projects, I was also working on mine. I followed the same basic steps. I came up with a design, cut out and pinned all of the pieces, then finally sewed and trimmed around the perimeter. Here’s what my T looked like by the end: